Hamilton Bermuda became a town in 1790 when the Bermuda Government set aside 145 acres for its future seat, and was officially incorporated in 1793 by an Act of Parliament. The Colony’s capital relocated to Hamilton from St. George’s in 1815 and became a city in 1897. The City has been at the political and military heart of Bermuda ever since. Government buildings include the parliament, Government House to the north, the former Admiralty House of the Royal Navy to the west (both in Pembroke), and the British Army garrison headquarters at Prospect Camp to its east.
Today, the city overlooking Hamilton Harbor is primarily a business district, with few structures other than office buildings and shops. The City of Hamilton has long maintained a building height and view limit, which states that no buildings may obscure the Cathedral.